Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Scars Tell Stories


There's a story behind every scar. 

An enthusiastic football player might excitedly tell the story about how he got that cleat-shaped scar on his shin...how he rushed those extra yards and made the touchdown, despite the punctured skin. 

The ex-con might be less enthused to tell the story of how he got that silver scar across his cheek. 

My life group friend is a Purple Heart recipient. His scars tell a story of uncommon bravery and perseverance.

Battles leave scars. Sometimes visible, sometimes invisible. Battles also change our identities.

The Bible tells the story of Jacob, and how after his wrestling match with God, his name was changed to Israel. After Saul of Tarsus encountered Jesus on the road to Damascus, he became the Apostle Paul. 

My season of difficulty has changed me. It's humbled me. It's softened me. It's changed my outlook, my priorities, and my walk with God. It's changed my sons. It's altered our life courses in ways I never imagined. 

I can finally write about my struggles, but I still can't talk openly about them in person. They're too raw and painful. But my struggles are leaving scars that can become beautiful.

Just as the breast cancer survivor can point to her purple scar and say, "See? I'm a fighter and an overcomer. Let me help you through your battle." The wounded warrior can point to his jagged scars and say, "I survived. I made a difference. You, fellow warrior, made a difference, too." That's beautiful. 

The wounds in our hearts and in our minds may take longer than the physical wounds to heal. And perhaps they never completely go away. They leave scars. But those scars tell stories. And in the telling of our stories, hopefully we can inspire and encourage others. 

Throughout my trials, God has transformed me into a fighter, a worshiper, a forgiver. He's given me the quiet confidence that He's got my back, and that my scars are here for a reason. 

This blog tells the story of my scars. The ugly scars, the bumpy scars, the embarrassing scars, and the beautiful scars. 

Whatever scars you've developed in your trials, I want you to know you're beautiful. Just the way you are. Ultimately, you'll use those scars to help others. Because that's how it works. Those who've gone forth in battle help those who come behind.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Lisa Gail Green said...

Well it's taken me long enough to find your new blog - but even so, I hope you know you are never far from my thoughts or my heart. You are an amazing person and reading this entry just solidifies that for me. You are a hero.