Wednesday, October 11, 2017

"Every Storm is a School"



"Every storm is a school." -- Rick Warren

In his podcast, "How to Deal with Difficulty, Part 2," Rick Warren says, "Every storm is a school." I like that. It's a fresh reminder that during all seasons of life--the good and not so good--there is something we can learn. It's true that we seem to learn the most from the trials in life, though.

I'll paraphrase one of Warren's blunt statements: during a storm, don't give up. Grow up.

Boy, did I have a lot of growing up to do. And I still have a long way to go. But thankfully I'm not where I used to be.

When dealing with difficulty, Warren gives us some advice on what to do and what not to do. I'll list them below, and add my own personal reflections.

What should we do?

  1. Determine the reason for the difficulty. What made it happen? Was it my cruelty? My indifference? My neglect? My pride? My selfishness? My insecurity? This is still an ongoing process for me. Even though my situation wasn't primarily caused by me, it's definitely been eye-opening to search my own heart for my share in the results. 
  2. What does God want me to learn through this? This is the whole "school" part of being in a storm. As I've opened my heart and mind to how I need to change, it's been a painful but necessary transformation. I'm confident God isn't finished with me yet! Thankfully, He's a patient, tender Teacher. I'm grateful for how far I've come, knowing it's a lifelong journey.
  3. Determine my response. Will I allow this to make me bitter? Or better? We can either become who God created us to be, or we can shrivel up and become hard-hearted. I choose to become better.
What should we not do?
  1. Drift. No goal, no purpose, no growth. We're coasting, and as Warren says, "When you're coasting, you're going downhill." Sometimes we're so knocked off our center of balance, it takes a little while to gain footing again. That's ok.
  2. Discard. It's tempting during a storm to abandon values and relationships. Warren says, "It's easier to cop out than to develop character." If you're still eye-balling that escape hatch of marriage called "divorce," close it. It is not God's will for us to run from a difficult situation. He wants us to learn and grow.
  3. Despair. Don't give up. Even in the storm, God is in control.
My sincere hope is that you'll listen to parts 1, 2 and 3 of Warren's series about dealing with difficulty. Such wise counsel.

Ultimately, my prayer is that no matter what you're going through today, you won't give up. Ever.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Leslie S. Rose said...

Love the storm analogy. Storms always blow past eventually!