Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Replace the Dirty Water



If you've followed this blog for any amount of time, you'll notice that I often link to other resources. Not just any resources, but resources rooted in faith and healing. Why is that? It's because I've found such solace and comfort in filling myself up with what is good. I crave it more than chocolate (and if you know me, you know that's really saying something).

I can't remember the source, but I loved this imagery:

Think of your hurting hearts, minds, and souls as a glass of dirty water. Grab a spoon and try sifting out the dirt. You can't. The dirt is so blended in with the water, you can't sift through it. Now set the spoon aside. Place that same glass of dirty water beneath the faucet and turn the water on. Clean water now fills the glass until it overflows. As more and more clean water pours in, the dirty water becomes lighter and lighter until it's clear.

For me, filling myself with what's good has been a vital part of my growth and healing. If I were filling myself with negative stuff, I'd be in a totally different place.

Before my husband left us, I used to listen to country music all the time. I love country music, don't get me wrong, but when you're hurting? It's awful. I'd hear a song about how much a guy loves a girl. Then I'd be sad because that's not my life. Boo hoo. Then I'd hear a song about how love went wrong, and their heart is broken. Then I'd be sad because that is my life. Boo hoo. It was a lose/lose situation.

I used to read fiction books all the time. Mostly romances, or thrillers with a romance sub-plot. Also dangerous! Now I read books that inspire me, give me hope, and lift my heart and soul. 

I used to browse through social media all the time, envious of the wives whose husbands love them. Envious of the families that remained together. Heartbroken instead of happy for all the smiling faces. Now I avoid social media completely. It's not reality, so why fill myself with it?

I read devotionals every day. I listen to podcasts whenever I hike. I listen to inspirational messages while I'm driving. That faucet of clear water is constantly being poured in, counter-acting the muddy water that used to define my thinking.

Whether you click over to my links or not, my hope and prayer is that you're filling yourself up with what is good. Pour clean water in, and little by little the muddy water will be forced out.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Leslie S. Rose said...

You are so right about country music. I love it too, but it does "gitcha" when you're in any kind of tenuous emotional stretch.