Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Battle Weary



I woke in the morning, feeling battle weary. It seemed as if battle lines surrounded me on all sides, inching closer, closer, closer. Imagine me in the middle, fists up, ready to fight, fearful eyes drooping from the weight of it all. 

A short time later I received the above image from a friend. It impacted me so much, I drew a sharp breath. 

The Lord Himself will fight for you. Just stay calm. Exodus 14:14

It was a fresh (and much needed) reminder that I wasn't in this alone. Not only that, but I don't even need to fight. It was also a fresh reminder that God places certain people in our lives for a reason. It's not a coincidence that she and I are friends. It was our Creator strategically linking us together.

Sometimes I'm good about surrendering it all to God--giving it all to Him, since I have no idea what to do with it. 

But I seem to be equally adept at taking those worries back--trying to figure it all out. My mind plays a constant loop of, "What do I do if this happens?" "Might as well expect the worst, so I'm prepared." "How in the world will I handle that situation when (if?) it happens?"

I devise a Plan A, and a Plan B. On and on I seem to marinate in the "what if" thoughts that torment me. 

This image my friend sent me was like God tapping me on the shoulder, saying, "This battle is Mine, not yours. Remember? Release it to Me.  Be still, and know that I am God."

Imagine me now in that same fighting position. Hands fisted. But now my clenched fingers loosen, straighten. My open hands flip over in an act of surrender and praise. Instead of devising an alternate plan to the alternate plan, I simply say, "Thank you, God, for promising to fight my battles for me."

He will give me the grace I need for this season. With those open hands, I receive that grace by faith. 

If you're feeling battle weary, I encourage you to receive this promise. Release your trouble, let it go, and let God fight your battle for you. It's not your battle, it's His.

Until next time...

No comments: