Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Do It Afraid


(photo credit)


Airports used to intimidate me. Flying in airplanes used to terrify me. 

So of course it makes perfect sense that I would choose to become a flight attendant, right?

You heard that correctly. I'm now a flight attendant. In my wildest dreams, I never would've imagined I'd choose this career path. And yet, here I am. 

But it wasn't so much me choosing it as it was God placing the desire in my heart. And then He gave me the grace to do it.

I'm no longer intimidated by airports. The crowds, the confusion, and the waiting have become somewhat normal to me. And I'm no longer afraid of flying. My office is now a tube in the sky, and I'm strangely ok with that.

This is what it's been like since I fixed my eyes on God and followed His prompting. He's taken me on unpredictable paths that normally would've scared the heck out of me. 

Joyce Meyer gives wonderful advice about following God's path for you, even when it's scary: do it afraid

I followed that advice when I took my mission trip last year. I followed that advice when I joined my life group. And I followed that advice when I got the "yes" from my airline, welcoming me to their team. 

Sometimes our biggest enemy can be comfort. We don't like change, and resist it at all costs. Comfort feels good. It's predictable. It's easy. I've always loved and appreciated comfort and predictability.

The unknown? Now, that's scary. Fear can become crippling, if we let it. But I'm learning to trust God and where He's taking me. I'm learning that I don't always know what's best for me, but God does. He loves me so much and wants to bless me. 

Pursuing this career has been full of ups and downs, trials and triumphs. It's meant being away from my children--the very people I love and care about most.

I don't claim to know why God led me here, or why He kept these doors open while shutting other doors. I have no idea why He placed this in my heart.  But I do know I can trust Him. He's leading me where He wants me to go, and all I need to do is follow. 

I'll share more about my flying adventures later, but for now I'll leave you with this: if you're feeling led to do something, say something, or pursue something--but you're scared--I encourage you to follow Joyce Meyer's advice: do it afraid

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

Until next time...

No comments: