Wednesday, March 1, 2017

The Invitation



I’ve always been rather quiet and private about my faith. It’s not that it was a big secret, it’s just that it wasn’t on the top of my “share with everyone” list. I grew up going to church, but drifted away in my later teen years. It wasn’t a conscious thing--it was simply a matter of magnifying other things and people.

That quickly changed two years ago when my husband--who I’ve been with since I was 15 years old--left me. My world was completely rocked. It’s still rocked, to be honest. If you’ve been through this, you know the deep, gut-wrenching wounds I’ve experienced. If you’re going through this now, I understand your pain. 

I was desperately searching for answers. I’m an avid reader and writer, so I gravitated to what comes naturally to me: reading, writing, and research. I began listening to podcasts that poured goodness and hope into my wounded soul. My faith, which had been on the backburner for decades, moved to the front.

This started happening while I listened to a podcast featuring Kimberly and LeRoy Wagner, who were sharing their marriage miracle story. For someone like me, who was so deeply wounded and searching for answers, it was a balm for my soul. I ordered Kimberly’s book, Fierce Women, and read through it in a couple of days. Their marriage miracle, Kimberly’s book, and her blog, were the seeds planted in my heart that began my spiritual journey.

I don’t know what your faith life is like. Perhaps you’ve been so disgusted by faith, and people of faith, that you’ve automatically tuned out this blog post. Or maybe you’re like me; you’ve grown up with faith, but let other things and people take its place. Maybe you’ve had that “something is missing in my life” feeling, but can’t pinpoint the cause. Or maybe you’re on the fence about faith, and don’t know what it’s all about. No matter where you are on this spectrum, I ask you to do this one simple thing: invite God into your circumstances.

Pray. Invite God in. If you’re the first responder who’s thinking of walking out on your family, pray. If you’re married to a first responder and you’re fed up with being alone and second in line to the job, pray. If your marriage is unraveling, and you’re powerless to stop it, pray. If your spouse is cheating on you, pray. If you’re the adulterer, pray. No matter where you are and what your role is in the status of your relationship, pray.

For me, healing began once I invited God into my circumstances. I’m not where I want to be, but I’m nowhere close to where I used to be. It’s a journey, but it all begins with an invitation. It could be simple words like this, “God, I don’t know what’s going on here. I don’t understand why I’m going through this pain. But in the midst of this chaos and turmoil, I’m inviting you in. Please help me.”

I truly hope you’ll invite God in. Right now.

Until next time...





2 comments:

Leslie S. Rose said...

You're so right. There is no reason to be alone.

Unknown said...

Hello, Julie ~

I'm so glad you've sent a beautiful and clear message to your readers with an invitation to ask God to step into their pain. I pray that many will turn to Him, not just for help in their time of need, but will realize His goodness, His love, His value and the fact that He is worthy of our worship--no matter what.

I am so thankful that God pursued you, and has called you to Himself, providing you with the only place of true, eternal, security and love. He loves you so much, He often brings you to mind to pray for you, and to pray for your husband . . . he is not beyond God's reach and God's amazing grace. May God rescue, redeem, and restore as only He can!

I sent you an email last week, but not sure you got it.

Love seeing all that God is doing in your life ~