Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Count Those Blessings


Imagine water rising all around me. Soon my entire body is covered. My head tilts back, with only my nostrils above the water line, desperate for breath.

I'm not going to sugar coat it--that's the way I feel sometimes. 

At the same time, people around me are being blessed again and again in their relationships, their finances, and their positions.

It's not that I don't want these people to be blessed. I do! But I must admit there's a voice in my head crying out, "God? Are you there? Did you forget about me? I praise You. I give in the offering. I help and encourage others. I serve. Where are my blessings?"

I'm not proud of these thoughts, believe me. I'm just being real. These thoughts are so wrong, because they show where my heart wanders. If I do this and this and this, then God should do this. That's not how it works!

When the boys and I experience these moments, we've gotten pretty good at bringing each other back to a place of gratitude. How do we do that? We remind each other of all our blessings. Here are a few:
  1. We have each other. We love each other so much, and we have each other's backs. We're a team. I give humble thanks every day for my amazing sons. God has given me the grace to raise three fine young men. 
  2. We have good health. So many people have failing health, or they're losing someone they love. Those people would likely give anything for one more healthy day. Each time I hike a path, ride a bike, or walk the distance from a bad parking space, I give thanks for my good health.  
  3. We have amazing family and friends. Our support network is huge and ever-growing. If we need anything, all we have to do is ask. Heck, sometimes we don't even ask. People are just plain kind to us. 
  4. We're grateful. It sounds weird to be thankful for gratitude, but we are. It's so special to hear my sons encouraging me through moments like this. After we huddle and regroup, we're laughing and having fun again. 
I don't need to wait for blessings. I am blessed. Right now. Sometimes I just need to remember that. 

Whatever you're going through, I encourage you to count your blessings. Even in our darkest times, there is always something to be thankful for.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Leslie S. Rose said...

Thank you for sharing your vulnerability. I think it is an integral part of the human condition to feel like this as we navigate challenges. I believe it's how we reset our compasses to what it truly important.