Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Forgetting the Past



Is it truly possible to forget the past?

There are images, words, and sounds I wish I could erase from my mind and never, ever have them return. Like a cool sci-fi movie, where only the good memories remain.

But if the ugly stuff from our past was completely erased, wouldn't we also erase our ability to learn from that past? Wouldn't we lose our humility that's gained from making mistakes? Wouldn't we lose the desire to help others who are going through what we've gone through in the past?

Oftentimes, those ugly images and words pop up to the surface of my mind. And if I'm feeling especially low, or if I'm tired, those words and images stay and grow. They become bigger-than-life monsters that feed my fears, doubts, and insecurities.

There's a Bible story about Paul, formerly Saul, who did some horrible things to other people in his past. How often did those words, sounds, and images haunt him? He was a regular guy, like the rest of us, so of course they must've surfaced from time to time.

I'm so thankful he gives us this advice in Phil. 3:13:


"...but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead..."

When I'm stuck in the "past cycle," I've learned to recite this verse again and again. Only then am I able to change the channel of my mind, so to speak, and look ahead. 

It isn't easy, especially when certain things smack me in the face every day.

The past is a powerful and destructive drug, constantly drawing us in. And just like a hit of meth or heroine, we reach for more. With each hit, we spiral downward. 

Learning from the past is good. Helping others as a result of our painful past is also good. But marinating on a painful past doesn't serve any good purpose.

For me, forgetting the past is a daily thing. When I look forward to what lies ahead, I have hope. I'm encouraged by the small new things that have already begun.

If you have a painful past, my hope and prayer is that you'll change the channel on those memories when they threaten to drag you down. It's difficult, and it won't happen all in one day. But we can discipline ourselves to not stay in that dark place.

Instead, look forward to what lies ahead. 

Until next time...


No comments: